V-Mount

Go down

V-Mount

Post by Ton Ton on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Anyone happen to know of a place that sells a V-Mount Kit or pieces to do the V-Mount in a 95 240sx with an RB25 or an SR20? I'm not sure which one Im going to go with but this might help me decide a little since they both are good motors, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Ton Ton
Forum Newcommer
Forum Newcommer

Back to top Go down

Re: V-Mount

Post by Tsukuyomi on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:06 pm

Really to be honest not alot of people do it. Signal Auto was one of the only ones that would actually "do the work" and know how to do it without it being an experiment on your car.

You have to ask yourself do you really need it though, SR20s dont have any sort of heat problems not any that would warrant a v-mount, RX-7s maybe and cars of that nature get great benefit from it due to their high engine temperatures but SR20s dont have tempermental engine temps like that.

Also if you go with an RB25 your already going to have a decreased space. So the intercooler will have to be smaller than what it would be if you did it with say an SR20.

In addition you'll definitely need a vented hood and it almost certainly will be a considerable amount of fabrication work to do it, sounds like your asking for a kit of some sort or for a seasoned/regular install and thats just not the case with a V-mount its not common and thus majority of it will be of your own fabrication/custom build.

Hope that helps a little, but you really dont need it man, for a project and just to do it by all means go for it, i'd like to see how it turns out, but if your on any sort of budget might be best to slap the radiator and intercooler on and call it a day. Smile

Tsukuyomi
Forum Newcommer
Forum Newcommer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ton Ton on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Just something to do to be different, plus do you know if signal still does the vmount or sells any parts, I would guess it would be easier to do with an sr20 i would assume the increase air would help the overall engine
Ton Ton
Forum Newcommer
Forum Newcommer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsukuyomi on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:01 am

No not really easier with an SR20, I would guess there will be very little difference in the size of the intercooler but you will have a little less space with an RB20/25 but not so much that it really would make a difference.

last time I heard signal would do it for about 2000-3000.00 and who knows if that figure wouldn't change as you get into it. Doing it to be a little different is kewl but its going to be like buying 2 engines. At least if you get it done by someone like signal, they don't sell a kit or anything like that, its just something they did for their drift cars ( kinda common on some D1 drift cars to avoid intercooler damage )

My guess is it'll end up being entirely your own project and your own fabrication of custom intercooler, pipping, radiator support modification and brackets. It's gonna be alot of work if you go down that route man. Considering I think so many years ago signal charged $2000 to $3000 for the work and fabrication alone, that doesn't even include a good intercooler. If you go that route good luck and take pics! Smile

Tsukuyomi
Forum Newcommer
Forum Newcommer

Back to top Go down

Post by JraceS14 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Yea that would be a crap ton of work and money what kinda power numbers are you trying to hit? or do u put the car on the track at all?
JraceS14
Forum Newcommer
Forum Newcommer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ton Ton on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:52 pm

JraceS14 wrote:Yea that would be a crap ton of work and money what kinda power numbers are you trying to hit? or do u put the car on the track at all?

Not too much more or less than about 550 and I don't see much track time so, it probably definitely would be too much work for a semi daily driver
Ton Ton
Forum Newcommer
Forum Newcommer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsukuyomi on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:04 am

Ton Ton wrote:
JraceS14 wrote:Yea that would be a crap ton of work and money what kinda power numbers are you trying to hit? or do u put the car on the track at all?

Not too much more or less than about 550 and I don't see much track time so, it probably definitely would be too much work for a semi daily driver

Yea you definitely have no need for a V-Mount if you don't want to do it just as a project and you care about any sort of budget big or small... I wouldn't worry about it at all

Tsukuyomi
Forum Newcommer
Forum Newcommer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum